Your baby is gaining about an ounce a day now and the longer he or she decides to stay on inside you, the bigger and bonnier they will be when they make an appearance. The sex of your baby will also determine the birth weight – your baby will be a little heavier if it’s a boy.
This is the time when your partner may also be thinking about the big event in few days. Getting a little something for mommy, or baby’s first ever toy, or planning a small celebration after the arrival of the baby could be some of the things your partner could be thinking of. Remember, your partner could be feeling a wee bit left out – what you doing the work carrying the baby, to term and then going through the labor and delivery too!
Changes in the baby
Baby is simply doing his job getting bigger and rounder in preparation for birth. The fat he is gaining now is going to help him regulate his body temperature once he is out. Until now he has had his own personal air-conditioned chamber inside your uterus which won’t be available in a week or so.
- Baby is very close to the size and length he will be when he is born – about 7 lbs and over 20 inches in length.
- Baby is able to grasp quite firmly now.
- He will also turn towards light if it is shone through your belly (the orienting response)
Changes in the mom to be
You may be doing little other than waiting now. But do remember to keep eating healthy. Concentrate on staying happy and relaxed; these can have an impact on the labor, say researchers.
- You may have a bloody show this week or could be later.
- You can practice birthing positions such as squatting, lying down and so on, to see what works for you.
Tips for the 38th Week
As you wait for baby to make an appearance, it may be a good idea to do some chores around the house – of course, only if you feel up to it.
- You may want to make sure that baby’s nursery is all ready.
- Also think of enlisting some help and getting the home spring cleaned. You won’t have the time to do this for a while after the baby arrives.
- It may also be a good idea to stock up on food stuff and even cook and freeze a few meals, so that you’re sorted for a while after you’re back from the hospital.